International Office

International Office

Welcome to the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research and the Max Planck Research School for Solar System Science of the University of Göttingen. The following pages contain helpful advice and links to help guests, students and employees coming to MPS get started in Germany.

There might be more rules and regulations than you are used to - Germany's reputation for being bureaucratic is not wholly unfounded. But do not be discouraged, you will get past the red tape and we at the MPS International Office will help you every step of way. The links below give you an overview of what to prepare for your stay in Germany and which formalities have to be dealt with shortly after your arrival.

What needs to done before coming to Germany?

Visa und Residence permit
In many cases, a visa is needed for entry into Germany.
Do I need a visa? What types of visas exist?

Healthinsurance & Co
In addition to health insurance and other social insurances, there are more insurances that you should know about.

For guests and new employees we can provide guest rooms and apartments for a limited period or help with the mediation.


What needs to  be done upon arrival?

Residence, residence permit, work permit - a lot of bureaucracy, but no witchcraft. Step by step - we can do it.

Opening a bank account is a very important thing to do. You will need it to handle regular payments such as salary, rent, telephone+internet. more
Apartment Search
2 ZKBB, EBK (GK, GS), GWC, FBH, WM-Anschluss, KM inkl. HK, NK inkl. HMS, KT 3 MKM.
You do not understand the language of the apartment advertisements? We also translate these acronyms into your language.


You might also be interested in the following

Living and working in Germany
Links to tips and information for international scientists and students

Go to Editor View