PhD positions: Call for applications in 2022
The Solar System School invites applications for PhD positions in Solar System Science. Review of applications will begin on 1 November 2022.
The International Max Planck Research School for Solar System Science at the University of Göttingen ("Solar System School") offers a research-oriented doctoral programme in Solar system science.
The Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) offers PhD projects in three main areas:
Solar System School students collaborate with leading scientists in these fields and graduates are awarded a doctoral degree from the University of Göttingen or the Technical University Braunschweig.
The Solar System School is open to students from all countries and offers an international three-year PhD program in an exceptional research environment with state-of-the-art facilities on the Göttingen Campus. Successful applicants will be offered a three-year doctoral support contract as well as postdoc wrap-up funding.
The language of the structured graduate program is English, with complimentary German language courses offered (optional). The program includes an inspiring curriculum of scientific lectures and seminars as well as advanced training workshops and provides relocation costs and travel funds to attend international conferences.
Applicants to the Solar System School should have a keen interest in Solar system science and a record of academic excellence. They must have, or must be about to obtain, an M.Sc. degree or equivalent in physics, chemistry, geosciences or a related field, including a written Masters thesis, and must document a good command of the English language.
Review of applications for a starting date of September 2023 will begin on 1 November 2022, but other starting times are also negotiable. The positions are awarded on a competitive basis.
Applicants must submit the following documents through the online application portal between 1 September and 1 November 2022:
- an application form to be filled online, including two short texts describing the applicant's scientific interests and their motivation to apply for PhD projects in the Solar System School, along with the applicant's choice of up to three PhD projects;
- a curriculum vitae in pdf format;
- degree certificates and full transcripts of all academic records: i.e. scanned copies of B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree certificates (or equivalent), and lists of all courses with credits and grades issued by the respective school or university, with English or German translations;
- certificate to prove proficiency in the English language, for candidates whose most recent academic education has not been in English or German for at least two years (e.g. transcript of TOEFL / IELTS scores or equivalent);
- contact details for two or three academic referees who have been contacted by the applicant and who have agreed to write a letter of recommendation on behalf of the applicant. The referees will subsequently be contacted by the School and will be asked to submit their letters through the online portal no later than 10 November 2022.
It is highly recommended to also submit
- GRE Physics or GRE Chemistry test scores or equivalent for candidates who have obtained their Master's degree at a university outside of the European ECTS area.
The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity. The Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of individuals of underrepresented genders and therefore explicitly encourages individuals of underrepresented genders to apply. The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more individuals with severe disabilities. Applications from individuals with severe disabilities are explicitely encouraged.
To apply, please register then login at the Online application portal. For further information, please browse the answers to Frequently Asked Questions and direct any further inquiries to the IMPRS scientific coordinator, Dr. Sonja Schuh, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Deadlines||Timeline for recruitment and admission to the IMPRS programme for a start in 2023|
|2022 May 1||Online registration 2022 opens|
|2022 Sep 1||Application submission opens|
|2022 Nov 1||Application deadline|
|2022 Nov 10||Recommendation letters due|
|2023 (tbd)||IMPRS Interview Week|
|2023 Sep 1||Start of new academic year|