Kiepenheuer-Institut für Sonnenphysik
Schöneckstr. 6, D-79104 Freiburg, Germany
Tel.: +49-(0)761/3198-0 Fax.: -111
Travelling to Freiburg by Plane (with connecting Trains & Buses)
The closest airport is EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse and other good possibilities include Zurich, Stuttgart and Frankfurt.
The EuroAirport is 60 km South of Freiburg. Here are 3 suggestions,
1. Visitors to Germany can leave the airport through the French exit. Then take the airport bus to Freiburg (click here for timetable and other useful information).
2. Alternatively, take a train from the Swiss side to Basel central station, and change there to an ICE train to Freiburg.
3. Otherwise, if coming from Basel by car, Freiburg can be reached via motorway A5 (direction: Basel-Freiburg-Karlsruhe). Either from motorway A35 Ottmarsheim/Mulhouse via motorway junction Neuenburg, or after the motorway customs Basel taking the exit Palmrheinbrücke, Huningue and St. Louis.
Zürich airport is 150 km South of Freiburg.
- From Zürich airport, take a regional train to Zürich central station and then take an ICE train directly to Freiburg main train station.
- Alternatively, come by car via A3 to Basel and from Basel via A5 to Freiburg.
Stuttgart airport is 200 km North-East of Freiburg.
- From Stuttgart airport, take an S-Bahn train to Stuttgart main train station and from there take a train via Karlsruhe to Freiburg.
- Alternatively, come by car via the motorways A8 to Karlsruhe and then A5 to Basel/Freiburg.
Frankfurt airport is 270 km North of Freiburg.
- From Frankfurt Airport, take an ICE train direct to the main train station in Freiburg. This takes about two hours.
Getting to the Kiepenheuer-Institut für Sonnenphysik
If you arrive in Freiburg by train, take a taxi from the main station (see map above) or walk through the city center (about 15 minutes). We recommend the following route for walking: Eisenbahnstraße, Rathausgasse, Münsterplatz, bridge for pedestrians over Leopoldring to the park and Wintererstraße.
Freiburg is situated off Autobahn 5 (A5) between Offenburg and Basel. The best way to get downtown Freiburg is to use the motorway junction Freiburg-Mitte (exit 62) west of Freiburg and then via B 31a eastwards towards the city center. Drive around the city center in an anti-clockwise direction. Go over Lessingstraße and Schillerstraße besides the river Dreisam, which you will cross at the Schwabentorring. Go ahead onto Schloßbergring until it turns to the left. Here you don't follow but instead go straight ahead into Mozartstraße, from which you turn directly right into Wintererstraße. Finally, after about 300 meters turn sharply right into Schöneckstraße, where you will find the Kiepenheuer-Institut.
If you arrive by car from the east (through B31), please drive towards the city center until Leo-Wohlleb-Straße (blue points on the map) crosses the river Dreisam. There you turn right into Schwabentorring and follow the route described above (red points on the map above left).