The Surface of Mars
Relation between microstructure and mineralogy/chemical composition of Martian soil.
The term microstructure includes size distribution, shape, spectral (reflectance) properties and chemical/mineralogical diversity of soil particles. The high-level goal is to interpret these data in terms of formation and processing history (diagenesis) of Martian soil.
- Search for organic compounds in Martian soil and terrestrial Mars analog materials (in preparation of the ExoMars-2018 rover mission)
- Magnetic Properties Experiments on Martian dust.
- UV Luminescence of Martian dust.
- Martian soil as imaged by high-resolution imagers (especially the Optical Microscope onboard the Phoenix Mars Lander and the MAHLI High-resolution camera onboard the Curiosity Mars rover)
- Martian soil as probed by Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS).
- Martian soil and rocks as probed by Raman onboard the NASA Mars-2020 rover.