Job Code: So/PHI 2023
Job offer from February 16, 2023
The Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) in Göttingen conducts fundamental research in the field of solar system physics. With its approximately 300 staff members, it is one of the leading institutes in the field of solar physics and planetary research. In particular, the institute is involved in numerous international space missions.
The Institute invites applications for Postdoctoral Positions (f/m/d) on SO/PHI data exploitation.
The solar department at the MPS is the PI institute of the Polarimetric and Helioseismic Imager on the Solar Orbiter (SO/PHI) and provides outstanding opportunities for data analysis and calibration activities, as well as related theoretical and numerical work. The research fields include the solar magnetic field, physics of the photosphere, solar activity, as well as wave physics and solar variability.
- pursue research related to the current research of the department with prime focus on topics to be addressed with the SO/PHI instrument,
- support the SO/PHI operations planning
You should have
- a PhD (or soon to be expected PhD) in solar physics or a closely related field,
- an outstanding research record,
- relevant experience in observations, data analysis, theory/numerical modeling, or solar instrumentation.
- remuneration according to grade E13 of the TVöD pay scale of the German civil services
- social security benefits in accordance with the regulations of the civil services
- the possibility to work with leading scientists in the vibrant environment of a world-leading group, in the historic and charming University town of Göttingen
- access to excellent computing facilities
- individual travel budgets for conferences, etc.
- the possibility to supervise PhD students
- initial duration of two years, with the possibility of an extension
Applications should include a CV, a publication list, a statement of research interests (max. 2 pages) and the names and contact details of three scientists willing to provide reference letters.
The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all backgrounds. The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
Review of applications will start on 26 March 2023 and continue until the positions are filled. Please apply exclusively online via our application portal. We look forward to receiving your online application.
For questions regarding possible research topics please contact Sami K. Solanki email@example.com. For questions on the application process please contact Johannes Stecker firstname.lastname@example.org.