Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research, Göttingen
Astronomy & Astrophysics
Type of Job
Optical Design Engineer
Job offer from December 19, 2018
The Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) in Göttingen is one of the world-leading institutes in planetary research and solar physics. Its three scientific departments not only conduct leading edge research but also develop scientific instruments for space mission or for operation at ground-based observatories. The Institute is based in a new building on the northern campus of the University of Göttingen.
For the development of new integral field spectrographs for solar observations within the EU project “Solarnet-2”, we are looking for an optical design engineer. We offer an independent and responsible position in an active international team in an exciting astronomy research environment, offering extensive new learning opportunities.
- Design, tolerance analysis and stray light analysis of optical systems
- Adjustment and characterization of optical systems, both in a laboratory environment and at a solar telescope
- Inquiries and negotiations with manufacturers regarding the fabrication and procurement of optical components
- Creating and maintaining specifications, drawings and documentation for the instruments
- Completed undergraduate or post-graduate degree in optical engineering, or physics with an emphasis on optics
- Familiarity with optical design software, such as CODEV or ZEMAX
- Some knowledge of or experience with analysis software such as ASAP or FRED is desirable
- Optical design experience and practical experience with the adjustment, verification and characterization of optical systems is preferred
- Ability to apply conceptual ideas in a practical context, and to work creatively and independently within a small team
- Good command of the English language
The full-time position is immediately available and is offered for a period of 2 years, with the possibility of extension, depending on the availability of funding. Salary will be according to the TVöD scale of the German public services, commensurate to the qualification and experience.
Applications should be sent until January 31, 2019 as one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information or questions, please contact Michiel van Noort (email@example.com).
The Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more persons with disabilities and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.