DISLIN is a high level library of subroutines and functions that display data graphically. It is intended to be a powerful and easy to use software package for programmers and scientists that does not require knowledge of hardware features. The software is available for the programming languages C/C++, Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95. For some operating systems, the languages Perl, Python, Java, Ruby, TCL and the C/C++ interpreter Ch are also supported.
DISLIN can display graphic information directly on graphic terminals or store them in metafiles. The supported display types are VGA, X Windows, Windows API and OpenGL. The supported file formats are GKSLIN, CGM, HPGL, PostScript, PDF, WMF, SVG, PNG, BMP, PPM, GIF and TIFF. DISLIN metafiles can either be printed on various devices using the DISLIN driver program DISDRV or imported into third party products such as TeX and MS Word.
The library contains the following features:
- 9 software fonts where each font provides 6 alphabets. PostScript fonts for PostScript, PDF and SVG output, X11 fonts for X terminals and TrueType fonts for Windows displays and WMF files can also be used.The different aphabets contain Roman, Greek, Russian, mathematical and special European characters. TeX instructions can be used for plotting mathematical formulas.
- Plotting of two- and three-dimensional axis systems. Axes can be linearly or logarithmically scaled and labeled with linear, logarithmic, time, date, map and user-defined formats.
- Plotting of curves. Several curves can appear in one axis system and can be differentiated by colour, line style and pattern. Multiple axis system can be displayed on a page.
- Plotting of legends.
- Elementary plot routines for lines, vectors and outlined or filled regions such as rectangles, circles, arcs, ellipses and polygons.
- Shielded regions can be defined.
- Business graphics.
- 3-D colour graphics.
- 3-D graphics.
- Elementary image routines.
- Geographical projections and plotting of maps.
- Graphical user interface (GUI) routines based on Motif and Windows API functions.
Manuals in English are available in the online help of DISLIN, or can be downloaded in HTML format.
A printed book of Dislin can be ordered from Amazon.de, or directly from the author.
The Data Plotting Software DISLIN - Version 10by Helmut Michels (Author)
Paperback : 320 pages
Hard- and Software Requirements
At the moment, DISLIN versions are available for the following hard- and software components:
IBM-PC / x86
DISLIN is free for non-commercial use. Licenses for commercial use, or for just supporting DISLIN, are available from the site http://www.dislin.de.
The payment of commercial DISLIN licenses is managed by:
Max-Planck-Innovation GmbH, D-80799 München, Amalienstr. 33,
Tel.: +49 89 290919-0, Fax: +49 89 290919-99
The current prices of commercial DISLIN licenses are:
- The payment of DISLIN licenses is managed by Max-Planck-Innovation GmbH, D-80799 München, Amalienstr. 33, firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +49 89 290919-0, Fax: +49 89 290919-99. Payment can be done by check or by money transfer to a bank account of Max-Planck-Innovation. Payment by credit card is not possible.
- All prices are unique payments and include binary upgrades that can be downloaded from the DISLIN site http://www.dislin.de.
- A DVD with the current DISLIN software and documentation is included. The source code of DISLIN and script files for recompiling DISLIN and bug fixes are also on the DVD. The source code of DISLIN may not be distributed by a user.
- Free upgrades of the Dislin source code are sent by e-mail to the owner of a Campus or World license for a period of three years, and to the owner of a PC or Workstation license for a period of one year.
- A DISLIN PC license means that all DISLIN PC distributions can be used on a single PC. Several DISLIN distributions can be installed on that PC at the same time. The Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OSX distributions of DISLIN are classified as PC distributions.
- A Workstation license can be used for the UNIX and VMS versions of DISLIN installed on a single workstation. The number of users is unlimited.
- A Campus license allows DISLIN installations on all computers in a building (or in several buildings in a closed area). For example a computer center or an institute.
- The Dislin World license is a Campus license without the restriction to a closed area.
Helmut Michels, MPI für Sonnensystemforschung, Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 3,
D-37077 Göttingen, Germany
Tel.: +49 551 384 979 334, Fax: +49 551 384 979 240,
DISLIN Web Sites
The DISLIN software is available via ftp anonymous from the site:
The DISLIN Home Page is: