Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research, Göttingen
Astronomy & Astrophysics
Type of Job
Assistant to the Managing Director
Job offer from June 30, 2017
The Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) invites applications for an Assistant to the Managing Director.
MPS in Göttingen is one of the world’s leading institutes in planetary science and solar physics. The three scientific departments not only produce outstanding research but also develop scientific instruments for international space missions. The institute is by nature highly international. It is located in a new building on the University of Göttingen’s north campus.
In your role, you will assist the Managing Director with a wide variety of tasks related to institute management and the Solar and Stellar Interiors Department. These tasks involve a high amount of correspondence in German and English as well as translation between the two languages. Your tasks will include:
- Preparing the Managing Director’s reports for meetings; writing minutes and summaries of meetings
- Preparing and reviewing written correspondence, presentations, speeches
- Translating correspondence, reports, minutes, project proposals from/into German and English
- Preparing contract documentation for contract extensions and hiring new staff
- Monitoring project budgets
- Liaising between the Managing Director, colleagues at MPS, the Max Planck Society headquarters, and other organisations on the Göttingen Campus
- Advising the Managing Director on institute-related matters
- Following-up queries regarding the department and institute
We are looking for a university graduate with a high written and spoken proficiency in German and English (C1). We seek a candidate with excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to manage a wide variety of tasks proactively and independently. Strong MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as a familiarity with Google Docs, Sheets and Slides are desired.
The position (full-time or part-time) is available from 1st September 2017 and limited until 31st December 2019, with the possibility of an extension. Remuneration will be in accordance with the German Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD), the salary grade is dependent upon the candidate’s profile. Social security benefits are in accordance with the public service regulations.
The Max Planck Society endeavors to employ more disabled persons. Applications from disabled persons are explicitly encouraged and will be favored in the case of equally qualified applicants.
Please send applications addressed to the Managing Director, Laurent Gizon, in English as one PDF file by email to email@example.com, with the subject line “Assistant to the MD” by 30th July 2017. Certificates or reference letters may be sent in German or English. For any questions regarding the position and application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research